Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Woes of the N.C. (1)s: The productivity of geeks.

The irony of the post of the actual blog itself, here am I wasting my productivity for productivity.

In the new company [NC], which I have been in roughly how-long-can-you-get-pregnant months, I have learned that for a company who is in the taking-care-of-the-sick industry, the kicker is we were being reminded constantly of the importance of cost.

what the f*ck does that mean? we are being trained to be this term called efficient which is doable in non-multi-tasking ways and it doesnt consist you juggling truckloads of work in different contexts a day leaving you burnt like a crisp after an 8 hour workday, or running into the hills screaming FUCK THIS. 

So, if you weren't coding project A while project B is running and reading a quality improvement document for project C while solving a bug from Project D, you're basically inefficient.

Geeks supposedly have a one-track mind. As a fellow multislacker and I were in conversation a few days ago, we like doing one work fast, efficient and w/ quality. Give us another task in the middle of a phase and it throws the whole tempo of, up to the point where you have more than 2 completely different tasks and while you try to be like a multi-threaded machine, turns out, threads aren't even simultaneously run together and you end up confused and lagging behind. Screwing productivity, screwing your quality and most definitely screwing your cost.

I am a geek. I am a developer. I am an engineer. I would like to focus on my productivity more than your company losing money, and if you don't like it, sorry to say, how many times do I have to tell you I'm inefficient?!

This concludes part 1 of the many parted post called The Woes of the N.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment